Bigger than just sustainability, Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) criteria or Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) are an increasingly popular way to evaluate companies.
- ENVIRONMENTAL criteria consider how a company performs as a steward of nature.
- SOCIAL criteria examine how it manages relationships with employees, suppliers, customers and the communities where it operates.
- GOVERNANCE deals with a company’s leadership, executive pay, audits, internal controls and shareholder rights.
At Mold-Rite, we continue to define and develop what Environmental, Social and Governance criteria means for our company and how this impacts our customers and partners as we ethically grow our business.
MRP has chosen to utilize EcoVadis as our outsourced sustainability management platform. EcoVadis helps companies manage their network both upstream and downstream, either by sharing their performance with stakeholders or monitoring the performance of the upstream value chain. Based on a score out of 100 evaluating 21 environmental, social and governance criteria, broken into four main areas: Environment, Social and Human Rights, Ethics and Sustainable Procurement. Companies are rated on the material issues as they pertain to their company’s size, location and industry.
- 75,000+ Companies
- 160+ Countries
- 200+ Industries
Mold-Rite scored 54 out of a possible 100, earning a Silver EcoVadis Medal. This places MRP among the top 25% of companies assessed by EcoVadis! This initial rating will provide us with a benchmark and help us to define areas for sustainability improvement.
ELLEN MACARTHUR FOUNDATION NEW PLASTICS ECONOMY
Mold-Rite is also proud to participate as a signatory to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, joining a worldwide collaboration of businesses and governments committed to rethinking the way we design, use and reuse plastics to create a circular economy for plastic. At the heart of the New Plastic Economy initiative is a vision of a circular economy for plastic, in which it never becomes waste or pollution. With our commitment to this program, MRP has achieved a 24.5% increase in PCR usage in 2020, and only utilizes recyclable materials.
Among the policies and practices that help MRP achieve our ESG goals:
Scrupulous attention to our waste stream
- 100% of our Plattsburgh injection plastics are recycled
- Utilization of closed loop regrind
- Recycling usable scrap for use in a material to make polymer lumber
- Reduce scrap
- Recycling of resin and corrugate
- Customer pallet pooling programs
- Recycle corrugate liner cores
- Reusable color buckets
- In house collection of employee products (Paper, metal and bottle recycling)
Reduced Energy Consumption:
- 100% of our Plattsburgh energy supply is renewable hydroelectric
- High-output, motion sensor fluorescent lighting fixtures
- Energy efficient exterior lighting
- All-electric injection molding machines
- Renewable energy chiller
- Energy efficient air compressors
- Thermal Blankets applied to presses to reduce electric consumption
DESIGN FOR SUSTAINABILITY
- Design of lighter weight products to reduce material
- Produce recyclable products and investigate mono-material options to ease the effectiveness of recycling
- Liner-less closure options
- Utilization of sustainable materials (PCR, etc.)
Mold-Rite is continuously analyzing and evaluating recycled options, alternate sustainable materials and additive technologies to accelerate degradation and to lightweight and reduce amount of virgin plastic used.
We continuously work with customers and suppliers to identify opportunities to reuse, recycle or increase composting rates. We conduct supplier technology reviews with resin suppliers and liner suppliers to evaluate additional sustainable materials, sampling and testing. We align our business with suppliers who are committed to supporting recycling programs to increase curbside collection and enhance the supply of PCR. We pride ourselves on the selection of PCR sources that meet our customer requirements (PCR sources granted No Objection Letters by the FDA for food contact) and do not disrupt or contaminate the recycle stream.
Mold-Rite is strategically aligned with the following partners: